TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I think it's too "busy". Way too much shifting required...
People Seeking Info

Subject I think it's too "busy". Way too much shifting required...

Posted by Gordo 96NA Daytona on March 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM
  This message has been viewed 458 times.

In Reply To so serious question ... what don’t you like about the 4.08s? (n/m) posted by ConVerTT on March 27, 2018 at 09:07 AM

Message First let me say, I do understand that too high a gear ratio will load the engine before it has a chance to get into it's power curve and kill acceleration. But all this engine run up in in low gears; and the inordinate amount shifting gears is not the driving style I prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked manuals; but I've always liked a big flat torque curve and a long pull between gears; hence I do not like driving a car with short quick gearing. Every car I've ever had, has been a longer pull between gears. With the 4.08, first gear feels more like I'm driving a farm tractor... 20 mph, and it's nearly four grand on the tach and time to shift.

I know its the new normal with four cylinder turbos and eight / nine speed autos; but I'd rather be pulling like a freight train with big torque pulling long hauls between shifts. It's an old school thing. And I know it's not going to happen with the VG30DE as it sits in the bay right now. But all Z32 problems have answers; some of which tend to be more creative than others. That's why I like here, instead of those other forums where they're still talking about what colors to paint their calipers.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.